Sunday, August 8, 2010

I love Kansas (and Missouri and Nebraska) farmers

One of the high points of my summer has been the CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) program at our local grocery store, Hen House. I love that a big grocery chain is supporting local farmers, but I mostly love how much better organic, locally grown produce tastes. I had no idea.

http://www.henhouse.com/cnt/BFBL_growersalliancecsa.html

I am in a program where you get a selection of meat, cheese, breads, and produce for 18 weeks and a second program where you pick 5 any 5 produce items for 8 weeks. I only drive .2 miles to my store on Saturday mornings and I am surrounded by the most delicious fresh foods on the planet. My family now asks, "is this farm fresh?" They are mostly teasing me because I am a little obsessed with this deal. I know there are several farmers markets in my area that have the same stuff but this is so easy for this busy mom. Johnny can go with me in the cart and join in the fun.

Our favorites? The corn, watermelon, and peaches. I'm freezing Andy's Candy corn like a madwoman and the kids have to fight me for the Bader farm peaches. On one "meet the grower" day a man explained to me how to pick a watermelon. It has been life-altering knowledge. Also, Britton loves the Million dollar pickles. I am a total organic milk convert now too.

I'm thinking about trying my own garden next year but considering the success of a few of my other friends, the Hen House CSA seems like the way to go.

No comments: