Thursday, September 23, 2010

AT update

I just saw this video on facebook that inspired me to journal about John's latest Assistive Tech news instead of how I found out Taylor was playing Wii football online against people he doesn't know. I find that creepy. Now be inspired....

http://www.donjohnston.com/media/flash/case_against_technology/index.html

So far John's school district and our insurance company seem to be supportive of Assistive Technology for John although they are SLOW. The most frustrating thing is he is ready for more advanced AAC programs NOW and I don't think his school thinks so OR has the resources and knowledge to provide it.

John had an assistive technology evaluation at a rehab center last week and it went AWESOME. He really gave them a good picture of what he understands receptively, what his vision strengths are, and what he needs to "talk." The SLP at OT that did the eval were floored by his ability to manipulate the devices they tried with him and how quick he was to pick up the sequencing. I owe all of that to the iPad.

This is the device they are recommending:

http://www.assistivetechnologycenter.org/tlc/ach/prcspring.php

Wait, I thought the iPad was his new communication device? Yeah, me too. As it turns out it is the best learning tool I've ever bought for John but it won't be his talker yet. Why? It is too awesome and he knows it. I would have to take all of the apps, music, movies, etc. off to make it be his talker and I don't think it is in his best interest. There is so much he can learn with it and he can SEE things on it so much better than on paper or normal computer screens.

Right now I am waiting for the AT eval and for insurance to process it. Because the insurance company set up the evaluation and they picked who did it, I'm pretty sure John will get what they recommend.

In beautiful, God driven timing, if John had the eval last spring when I asked my insurance company for a device I don't think John would have had the knowledge and experience to do as well with one as he will now. Once I heard about the iPad I blew off the traditional device route while at the same time the insurance company or doctor dropped the ball on the authorizations necessary. A few weeks ago I got a call from John's case manager that she was sorry about the delay and someone would be calling me to set it up. I thought, OK let's just see what they say.

This feels VERY right after a whole lot of searching for the right talker and never feeling like things were right. I love looking back at His work and how He takes care of my Johnny. EVERY.SINGLE.TIME. We are so blessed.

* * * *

Blogger's spell check just highlighted "assistive" as mispelled. I did not know blogger discriminated against the verbally disabled. Might need to look into wordpress. Just kidding.

No comments: